New Project of Mine

Discussion & Help for all web coding and scripting. Some languages include PHP, Ruby, Perl, XHTML, CSS, Javascript and XML.

New Project of Mine

Postby Jdrid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 am

I had another one of my crazy ideas tonight at one in the morning.
Well I've always enjoyed playing with servers (the computers, not the waiters, mind you), and I've come up with my next fun idea. I want to create a type of home/web server that will act as a multipurpose server. I want to put all my music, videos, DVDs, other media, and maybe some important documents on it and have it shared with my home network, and have a web server running on it. Then I want to be able to stream any of that media to Internet clients, with some type of authentication. And not like HTTP streaming, maybe something like a small program that contains an index of the files on the server or maybe some type of web application. Maybe the server could stream to Windows Media Player or another type of player for large videos and DVDs.

I really don't expect this to happen quickly, it's just kind of a long term hobby project. How would you guys go about this?
Windows Server 2008 and have users authenticated through Active Directory? Is there a way to write a nifty program that users download from the site that they would log in to and then that program would display the contents of what that particular user can assess and have stream capability?

I'm really just playing with ideas, and this community always seemed the best place to ask.
Jdrid
New around here

Re: New Project of Mine

Postby Max » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:13 am

Indeed, I just wish it was as lively as it used to be :lol:

I would say first, make sure your ISP allows you to run a server, as a lot of them don't. Second, I would personally use linux and oss for everything - but that's just me. In regards to the task at hand, that's definitely beyond anything I've tried, plus I'm a real newb at multimedia :mrgreen:

The easiest thing I can image is just to have the media files somewhere in the pubic_html directory of the apache web server, and have those directories be password protected. That handles the authentication part, and then have them click on the multimedia files that need to be streamed, and let some browser plugin handle it.

Perhaps the files themselves could be outside the public_html (for security), and streamed through a PHP script, which just serves the content of the media files upon some php authentication.

But I'm guessing you're aiming at something more complex?
Max
Administrator

Postby Jdrid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:20 am

True that. What happened to everyone here? Haven't even see spaceship or curriegrad post in forever.

I've run a webserver before so I know there aren't any port issues with my ISP, so shouldn't need to worry about that. And if anything I'd doubt my bandwidth usage would cause a problem with the ISP, probably me and 5 other people would use this. Linux would probably be a better choice than Server 2008 now that I think about it, though I've always worked with a Windows environment, so some things might be easier. I did love Linux when I threw it on an old box before so experimentation will be in order for that aspect.

Your idea would work. I was thinking more on the lines of an application that connects to the server, but programming that is something I'm not experienced with as of yet. I'm much better with PHP, so I'm thinking would combining PHP, MySQL, and Flash work? Let php stream the files, and mysql to handle authentication and have some type of a Flash frontend to make it look nice?
Jdrid
New around here

Postby Max » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:42 am

Perhaps, as I said I have no experience with anything to do with multimedia :P

Not sure what happened to them, perhaps just busy. I've been pretty busy myself, not working on Liway as much as I used to.
Max
Administrator

Postby Jdrid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Well I'll play around with it over the next few weeks (probably months) and let you know how it goes. Probably won't get too far. :lol:
Jdrid
New around here

Postby Max » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:14 pm

The only way to learn is to try :D
Max
Administrator

Return to Coding and Programming