wordpress vs joomla..hmmmm

Discussion & Help for all web coding and scripting. Some languages include PHP, Ruby, Perl, XHTML, CSS, Javascript and XML.

wordpress vs joomla..hmmmm

Postby crisalex » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:37 pm

There are so many opinions floating around about this debate. WordPress 3.0 changed a lot of peoples minds that its not just for blogging anymore, while Joomla 1.6 has a lot of potential to gain more momentum in the CMS industry space.

Both Joomla and WordPress have great CMS functionality, are easily themable, have loads of quality template design developers and plugins…
I believe it really comes down to really knowing what each platform is capable of, what plugins are available, and how to leverage them toward your clients specific goals. Both platforms can do most of the same things, but for certain tasks or applications one may be the better choice.
The coding in wordpress is much cleaner and SEO is FAR BETTER than Joomla. Speed is another issue that Joomla has not yet resolved. Search Engines are getting smarter and are now taking page load speed into account.
Another thing that separates the two is Javascript Frameworks. Joomla comes packaged with MooTools. And WordPress utilizes jQuery. Many Joomla plugins come packaged with their own version of jQuery, and it can lead to serious bloat. On the other hand, I can add a simple WordPress function to only load the same version of jQuery in all situations.

The last thing I’d like to compare is community support and documentation. I get more out of the WordPress Docs than I’ve ever gotten out of the any kind of Joomla help site. WordPress is a lot more straight-forward and the documentation is a lot easier to understand than most of Joomla’s documentation.

What do you think? :?:
crisalex
New around here

Re: wordpress vs joomla..hmmmm

Postby trucker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:31 pm

I've used both

if you like to use wp use a captcha otherwise you'll get spammed badly
with wp your page will get lots of traffic by bots

I prefer Joomla cause I always run a community

SOE is not important to modern search engines
trucker
New around here

Re: wordpress vs joomla..hmmmm

Postby Max » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Can you please not blatantly copy and paste from other sites.
Max
Administrator

Return to Coding and Programming