Tripple PHP: 5.3, 5.2 & 6

Discussion & Help on site promotion and search engine optimisation.

Tripple PHP: 5.3, 5.2 & 6

Postby Max » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 am

Hello dear Liway Users

I would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.2.11 and PHP 6.0.0-dev on our server. The former will significantly help those people who wish to run scripts not yet compatible with PHP 5.3 and the latter will help those of us who would like to develop with the future in mind. The two extra PHP versions are made available through the suPHP apache module. This does not affect PHP 5.3.x which will continue to run as an apache module.

I did all the installations and configurations to get this working manually, to ensure that it was all perfectly set up...and because I'm not aware of any scripts which generate such a unique setup as we now have, and I've been very closely observing all relevant log files to check for errors. In short, I'm fairly confident that I've fixed any problems, but if you experience anything out of the ordinary - you let me know.

I have written an extensive article about this in our wiki: http://wiki.liway.info/Different_PHP_Versions .
Some will undoubtedly like to skip to the how-to section, however I strongly recommend that you take the time to read and understand the differences which you will face if you plan to use the versions of PHP running through suPHP.

Also I've upgraded the forums to use reCaptcha and users can now reply to announcements, so please reply here if you have any questions or comments.

Good luck to everyone, and enjoy the best that web-hosting has to offer :D
Cheers
Max
Administrator

Re: Tripple PHP: 5.3, 5.2 & 6

Postby flaremaster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:25 pm

damn, that's impressive, I didn't know that was even possible.
flaremaster
New around here

Postby didactic » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:20 am

This is very awesome! I am glad I will be able to easily test my code on different versions of PHP. Plus I have been looking forward to checking out PHP 6. :ugeek: I did have some trouble getting the Wordpress Admin panel to operate, but the Wiki cleared things up quickly.

Thanks for the extra functionality! :D
didactic
New around here

Postby Max » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:39 am

One other important thing I forgot to mention in the wiki,
http://wiki.liway.info/Different_PHP_Ve ... ermissions
Max
Administrator

Return to Promotion & SEO