my account suspended?

Obtain support and get your questions answered here.

my account suspended?

Postby jimmybond » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:27 am

Hi,

It seems my cpanel account was suspended just now,but the server is fine now. So the previous load is targeting to my site?
Last edited by jimmybond on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmybond
New around here

Re: my account suspended?

Postby Max » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:22 am

You had a ton of traffic going to this URL:
http://metfreesky.divinemusic.liway.com ... t-release/

What do you know about this?
Max
Administrator

Postby jimmybond » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:12 am

Max wrote:You had a ton of traffic going to this URL:
http://metfreesky.divinemusic.liway.com ... t-release/

What do you know about this?

It should be some ddos attack or some computers infected by bots program alike. I had moved this site to another temporary host and now the attack seems to be over. So could you please unsuspend my cpanel account now? I'll be observing my site a little more time to make sure all is fine before moving it back to liway. Thank you very much!
jimmybond
New around here

Postby Max » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:28 am

But are you familiar with the content of that specific URL? If not, it seems like people may be uploading things to your site without you knowing, and linking to it elsewhere. Is your wordpress installation up to date and secure? Do you use a security plugin?
Max
Administrator

Postby jimmybond » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Max wrote:But are you familiar with the content of that specific URL? If not, it seems like people may be uploading things to your site without you knowing, and linking to it elsewhere. Is your wordpress installation up to date and secure? Do you use a security plugin?

Really? could you provide some detailed log/url records about the above issue? My wordpress installation is 4.1.X so it should install security updates automatically and I had better-wp-security plugin to scan all files by hash, If there is some exploit script on my site, it should send email notification.
jimmybond
New around here

Postby Max » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:00 pm

I don't really have any further info than the URL itself. Again, I'm just wondering if this is actual content you've created or it's outside of your knowledge.
Max
Administrator

Postby jimmybond » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:36 am

Max wrote:I don't really have any further info than the URL itself. Again, I'm just wondering if this is actual content you've created or it's outside of your knowledge.

Yes this url is the most visited article of my wordpress blog, if you are uncertain about the security of my site, I can try a fresh reinstallation of a newer wordpress version,or you may unsuspend my account for a limited time so I can recover my wordpress database. Thank you!
jimmybond
New around here

Postby Max » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:26 pm

jimmybond wrote:
Max wrote:I don't really have any further info than the URL itself. Again, I'm just wondering if this is actual content you've created or it's outside of your knowledge.

Yes this url is the most visited article of my wordpress blog, if you are uncertain about the security of my site, I can try a fresh reinstallation of a newer wordpress version,or you may unsuspend my account for a limited time so I can recover my wordpress database. Thank you!

I've unsuspended your site, but I'm going to have to ask you to either conduct some work optimising your website (using a CDN like cloudflare would be a good idea) and installing some wordpress caching plugin. If that all fails,and your site is so popular that it brings down a whole server, it probably needs more resources than free shared hosting.
Max
Administrator

Postby jimmybond » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:03 am

Thank you very much! In fact my website is not so popular, it has only 1.5K~2K page views per day. So it should not place that much load on the server. I don't know why that url became the target of this ddos attack and I have already added a reverse proxy CDN in front of the web server to defend some attack. I'll investigate it a little more from CDN's logs.
jimmybond
New around here

Return to Support & Questions