installing of EVEBB forum and eve killboard not successful

Obtain support and get your questions answered here.

installing of EVEBB forum and eve killboard not successful

Postby JeanPierre » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 am

Hello Max,

I have assigned subdomain http://forum.s496.liway.com to public_html/forum and http://killboard.s496.liway.com to public_html/killboard.
When trying to install either EVEBB forum or eve killboard, install fails due to either: unable to chmod messages or error 500 messages.
I am not sure whether it has something to do with my .htaccess and if so how to allow the installs to procede properly.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Allen
JeanPierre
New around here

Re: installing of EVEBB forum and eve killboard not success

Postby Max » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:53 am

Hey Allen

I think the best way for me to help you would be for you to PM me the link to the installation script to either (or both) forums on your hosting account, and some details I could fill out (ie. db name, pass, etc) to do just a mock install. Then I will debug the problems when they occur.
Max
Administrator

Re: installing of EVEBB forum and eve killboard not success

Postby Max » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:14 pm

Alright, this is what I was able to discover;

killboards
- That forum software appears to want to run php wrappers for command-line functions which must be executed under your user. As php scripts run under 'nobody' by default, it is necessary to install (and I am guessing maybe run as well) this software under suPHP whereby your php scripts will execute under your user.
- The internal server error was a result of your public_html directory being 777 (world writable). Never do this, it is never necessary and is quite bad. In general, use the most minimal permissions on everything which accomplish what you need.

EVEBB
- Appears to be a not-so-well written forum software which is probably incompatible with both PHP 5.4 and PHP 5.3 at the least. The install script seems to run under PHP 5.2 with .htaccess, however we do not plan to allow 5.2 for much longer due to it being extremely old and depreciated, thus I would in general not advice using this software.

I tried to install killboards then, however I think there's some EVE specific stuff in there which I didn't quite get :oops: Just wipe the DB and try it yourself, hopefully it will work.
Max
Administrator

Return to Support & Questions