A New Printer in the House!

Discuss topics such as computing, gadgets, hardware & software, internet and all other technological matters.

A New Printer in the House!

Postby DaveBusey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 pm

It has been awfully quiet on the Forums, lately. I checked now and then in to see what's going on, but now my income tax project is over. So I'll share some good news. I bought a spiffy little Brother printer, and openSUSE welcomed it with no difficulties. I talked with one of my Ubuntu enthusiast friends today. He said that HP printers had worked well for him. It's good to see that some manufacturers are trying to play nicely with Linux. Some of the other big name printer makers are still being snooty and uppity with their proprietary drivers and their "We cooperate only with Mac and Windows" attitudes. So thanks to HP and Brother. I'm sure you all have found some other good ones, too.
DaveBusey
New around here

Re: A New Printer in the House!

Postby Max » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:28 am

Yep, been using my hp officejet pro 5400dn for a few years and it's been great. The key thing is of course to do adequate research on such peripheral to check whether they will indeed work with linux or not.

Ironically, my printer worked perfectly out of the box with all the features on Ubuntu, while on windows, I couldn't do anything with it, until I installed a whole lot of stuff. Hilarious :lol:
Max
Administrator

Postby aiko73 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:59 am

good for you..many projects equals silence on the online world eh? well, hope you enjoy your new prienter..have the same model as you do.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
aiko73
New around here

Postby DaveBusey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I have discovered one little shortcoming which I haven't experienced with other printers. Static electricity in the paper feed process causes some consternation. Instead of pulling each sheet through and printing where it is supposed to, it sometimes (randomly - one never knows when it might be going to happen) pulls several sheets in together and prints a page partly on one sheet, partly on another.
DaveBusey
New around here

Postby uzeed » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:59 am

I got a new deskjet printer that was abkle to do four things for me. Printer of these day are very powerful and could do more thatn we are expecting for us. Am looking forward to a printer that will have inbuilt computer in it. the printer should be able scan, fax, laminate, printer and do word proceesing.
uzeed
New around here

Return to Technology