Hoorah for the IEC (and hoorah for Liway)

Discuss topics such as computing, gadgets, hardware & software, internet and all other technological matters.

Hoorah for the IEC (and hoorah for Liway)

Postby DaveBusey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Thank you for introducing me (in your "Free Hosting Information > Hosting Plans" forum post) to the mebibyte, kibibyte terminology, explained, as you noted, at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

I have grown displeased through recent years with the way that dishonest purveyors of software and hardware have let the formerly standard meanings of 1024 bytes for kilobytes, 1048576 bytes for megabytes, etc "slip" in meaning to 1000 and 1000000, respectively. It's their slimy way of trying to fool you into thinking that they're giving you just as much as they always did for your money - but they aren''t. I notice the same trend in the grocery industry. The previously common 16 ounce can of vegetables now may be 15.5 ounces. It still looks the same from the outside, but the manufacturers hope that you don't check the label (or that maybe you don't trust your memory to supply you with the fact that a decade earlier it really was a 16.0 ounce can of beans). In a similar way, juice bottles which previously held 48 fluid ounces in size now contain only 46 fluid ounces. And frozen fruit "juice cocktails" which, when mixed according to directions, now contain perhaps 25% real juice compared with the maybe 30% or 35% which they contained a few years ago. (Water and sugar are cheaper than fruit juice as ingredients - the manufacturers hope you won't notice that they've let the proportions "slip" a little to their economic advantage.)

And so I tip my hat in gratitude to the IEC (the International Electrotechnical Commission) for getting ahold of the previous standards. And I thank you at Liway that you are giving us the full 1048576 bytes in your specifications. And further recognition is due for providing all those hosted bytes for free!!!

Thank you

Edited Aug.10,'09 to fix two small typos. While editing, i noticed the ironic fact that the Liway forums spell checker flags "Liway", "mebibyte", and "kibibyte" as not being in its dictionary. Ha Ha!
Last edited by DaveBusey on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBusey
New around here

Re: Hoorah for the IEC (and hoorah for Liway)

Postby Max » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 am

No problem :mrgreen:
Max
Administrator

Re: Hoorah for the IEC (and hoorah for Liway)

Postby nevermore » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:15 am

DaveBusey wrote:(snip for brevity)
I notice the same trend in the grocery industry. The previously common 16 ounce can of vegetables now may be 15.5 ounces. It still looks the same from the outside, but the manufacturers hope that you don't check the label (or that maybe you don't trust your memory to supply you with the fact that a decade earlier it really was a 16.0 ounce can of beans). In a similar way, juice bottles which previously held 48 fluid ounces in size now contain only 46 fluid ounces.

And whenever ppl do notice the discrepancy, they come out with a 16-ounce can that really IS 16 ounces again, and put in huge letters at the top "NEW! 10 PERCENT MORE, FREE!!!". And of course, within a few weeks, the price has gone up, and it still says "10 percent more, free"
nevermore
New around here

Return to Technology