Windows 7... A quick review

Discuss topics such as computing, gadgets, hardware & software, internet and all other technological matters.

Re: Windows 7... A quick review

Postby Max » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:05 am

^ The only problem is that XP has no directx10, and now 11 as well.
Max
Administrator

Postby nevermore » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 pm

client wrote:i prefer windows XP ,I have used it for three years :mrgreen:

I finally got an XP computer (a used one), after my '98 machine croaked.
(the harddrive, a WD "caviar" 6gig, began developing large amounts of physically
bad sectors after 12 years of operation)

One thing I am NOT used to with XP is the large amount of ram/cpu/bandwidth
consumed by the antivirus and firewall.
nevermore
New around here

Postby DaveBusey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 am

Hi curriegrad2004,

I find your
Elaborating on SLIC....
post quite appealing. Could you point us to a few reference web sites which might give us details to show us how to produce this Home Premium to Vista Windows Ultimate conversion by understanding the SLIC system a bit better? But if you have discovered this all by yourself, I don't want to put you to the trouble of explaining the explicit steps you took to upgrade. One possible hurdle in my personal case is that I do not ever go onto the internet with any Windows OS on my computers. I do go on the internet with openSUSE Linux. So it may not even be possible for me to do what you did. Thank you, though, for sharing your previous insights.
DaveBusey
New around here

Postby clintfloyd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:44 pm

I have windows xp before. I've read to many blogs about this 7 os and they said that it's much faster than winXP so I installed it, and I found that it's much more faster than xp and vista. Its pretty nice for my netbook :)
--
clintfloyd
New around here

Postby curriegrad2004 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 am

DaveBusey wrote:Could you point us to a few reference web sites which might give us details to show us how to produce this Home Premium to Vista Windows Ultimate conversion by understanding the SLIC system a bit better.

Actually, mydigitallife.info was the site that I learned how the entire SLIC+OEM certificate system works and how it can be easily defeated. Believe me, as long as there's a way to inject a SLIC table at the hardware level, Microsoft Activation is totally defeated. Hell, they are even using network cards from the PC98 era to inject a SLIC table during a pre-boot environment!

Have a nice read, especially the forums there. Hey, in the end you might have the guts to try modifying a B*OS to include such tables. But be warned, flashing a modded bios poses a HUGE risk, so don't do it unless you are willing to.
Listen to my IPv6 J-Pop/Rock stream: http://[2001:470:c06d:1000::1]:8000/stream_lo.ogg
curriegrad2004
Global Moderator

Postby Max » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 am

curriegrad2004 wrote:But be warned, flashing a modded bios poses a HUGE risk, so don't do it unless you are willing to.

Or unless you have a mobo with dual BIOS 8-)
Max
Administrator

Postby simbalord » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:38 pm

like many in this forum i am running Windows XP, i really don't care much for DX10/11 i am fine with DX9 because none of my programs need anything higher than DX9. most of my software needs DX8 so really having a computer that has DX10/11 is a waste for me because i wouldn't even be using those "features"

I do have Windows 7pro running on my laptop, but i only use my laptop for web browsing and documentation. all my heavy editing and designing i do on my XP machine.
simbalord
New around here

Postby uzeed » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:44 am

Windows7 is really a blast , its one of the software that microsoft made in our time... i liked it very much. i saw it working in a frinends computer and men its sweet. I notice something about window7, it has the ability to work with even a window98 compatible software will work with it. it takes any software and all you need to do its make it compatible.
uzeed
New around here

Postby Sumop » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Just to know... is Windows7 able to run DOS games? :|

It's a thing I missed when I jumped from W98 to Vista.
Sumop
New around here

Postby Max » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:00 pm

I would guess no but...could be wrong.
Max
Administrator

Postby nevermore » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 am

If not, there are things like Dosemu, dosbox, and Bochs, for running DOS apps on windows and linux
nevermore
New around here

Previous

Return to Technology