Teh Jeff Needs a Lappy!

Discuss topics such as computing, gadgets, hardware & software, internet and all other technological matters.

Teh Jeff Needs a Lappy!

Postby Jdrid » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:48 am

Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted here, so tadah! I'm here.

I'm looking for a laptop I'll be bringing to college, and I need some suggestions. I want something portable, yet semi-powerful. I want to be able to play some games on it during class in my dorm at good speed. I'm not looking for uber-SLI pwnzorz or anything. 15" as well. Price isn't a huge factor, but don't get crazy.

I'm looking at the Alienware m15x. I'm not sure if I'd like carrying 9 pounds around, and I don't want the fans to go crazy loud in the middle of class. What would you suggest?

Cheers,
Teh Jeff
Jdrid
New around here

Re: Teh Jeff Needs a Lappy!

Postby Max » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:03 am

I bought a HP dv-5 1138tx at the end of last year, and I'm pretty happy with it. Are you planning to put linux on yours or..?

Also, isn't intel releasing the mobile version of their latest cpus soon?
Max
Administrator

Postby Jdrid » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:09 pm

I highly doubt linux will be going on this one, since I don't think the engineering software will run on anything but windows.

And one of the reasons I really like the m15x is because the i7s are in a mobile form on it now. So yeah, the latests ones are out now.
Jdrid
New around here

Postby Max » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:09 am

In that case, it sounds good.
Max
Administrator

Postby clintfloyd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:37 pm

HP and Dell is a good choice they really last longer as I experience. Never buy an Acer laptop since it wont last. I have one but its hardware like dvd-ram, camera, power start to fail this time. It's only 1 year.
--
clintfloyd
New around here

Return to Technology